Sunday, July 3, 2011

Regaining Her Voice: Chrissy’s Story

How old were you at the time of the assault?

I was 4 years old

How old are you currently?

I am 23 years old

Where did the assault happen?

From what I can remember, it happened in a

small dressing room that I had in my room.

Did you know the person who committed the assault?

The person that molested me was my babysitter.

Did you tell anyone about the assault at the time?

No, But I guess one time when he was going to baby sit, my mom could sense there was something wrong

by the expression on my face, shaking my head ‘no’. I guess at that point that was my cry for help.

Did the assault go to a court trial?

No, but I know that things were very different between our families from then on.

Was there a sentencing?

The only sentencing was for their family to never bother with ours again.

Do you think they will ever commit sexual assault again?

I really don’t know if he would. I feel like he may have just forgotten about it.

What would you like to say to people about sexual assault?

Do not stand for it if it’s happened to you or someone you know. It’s not fair being afraid your whole life thinking that you have done something wrong. It’s never your fault.

What would you like to say about this project?

I would like to say thank you for giving me this opportunity to tell my story along with many others.

It makes you realize how strong you are and how strong you have become from it.

I am twenty-three now, and have finally gotten to the point in my life where I’m not afraid of what lies ahead of me. Having this experience in my life has been difficult, though I am able to talk about it openly now. But through my years of growing up I have found it very difficult for me to be able to trust people. This person, who was once so close to me and almost felt like a brother, quickly took away my freedom of being a strong individual. I was four years old when I was molested by my babysitter. My brother and I grew up with his family; his family was almost considered a part of ours. We all attended private school together, went to church camp every summer, his mother was like a sister to my mom. From time to time I remember calling her aunt, and she was also my second grade math teacher. I never really understood what being molested meant until I was older. I know now that I was violated and completely stripped of my childhood innocence. Not only that, but a course of violent and emotional instability would take part in my life and would cause me to feel like I wanted to end it. Going through your life being afraid of everything, hoping and praying that life is not there to hurt you, is like not even giving you a chance to see what life is. Because of this experience and the problems that surfaced in result of this, has made me realized that I am a lot stronger than I think I am. Though this will never go away, it is now nothing but a memory and a closed chapter in my life.
*** Click Here Share Your Story ***

No comments: